Moving and Planning Guide

Four to Six Weeks Before Moving Day

Places to Notify

Change of address form (13743 bytes)Let the post office know when you’ll be moving and what your new address will be; a temporary forwarding address may be necessary if you do not have a permanent one by the time you move. As an alternative, the post office will hold you mail and forward it upon written instructions from you. If you want to rent a post office box in the new city, you must do so in person. All post office box rentals are for a minimum of six months.

First-class mail is forwarded free of charge for one year.

Magazines and newspapers are forwarded for 60 days and parcel post for one year if you have indicated to the post office that you will pay any extra postage due.

Only one change-of-address card is necessary per family if everyone in the household is moving and if all persons have the same last name. For other cases, one change-of-address card per person can be used. This type of card can be picked up at you local post office, or you may call the post office and ask if you postal carrier could drop off a card at your home.

Send change-of-address cards as soon as you know what the new address will be. Publishing companies prefer at least four weeks’ notice – preferably six. Early notification of you new, complete mailing address, including ZIP code, can avoid postage-due costs and eliminate the delayed receipt of you magazines and other publications.


Prepare a list of friends, relatives, business firms and others who should be notified of your move. The following checklists will be helpful:


Utilities Professional Services
Sewer District
Cable Television
Certified Public Accountant
Insurance Agencies Established Business Accounts
  Dry Cleaner
Drug Store
Diaper Service
Department Stores
Water Softener Service
Lawn Service
Service Stations
Finance Companies
Credit Card Companies
Automobile Agency
Real Estate Agency
Government & Public Offices Miscellaneous
  Veterans Administration
City Hall – Refuse Service
City and/or County Tax Assessor
State Motor Vehicle Bureau
Social Security Administration
State/Federal Income Tax Bureaus
Draft Board
  Relatives and Friends
Business Associates
Book and Record Clubs
Video and Compact Disc Clubs
Organizations and Clubs
Schools and College
Landlord (if you are a tenant)
Tenants (if you are a landlord)



Consider having a "garage sale" to dispose of unwanted items. (For information on this subject ask for United’s "Pre-Planning A Garage Sale" booklet.) If you donate clothing or household goods to charitable organizations, obtain receipts showing the items’ Garage Sale (22443 bytes)approximate value for possible tax deductions.

Begin to use up supplies of canned goods, frozen foods and other household items. Buy only what will be used before moving. Consider making shipping arrangements for frozen foods with the local frozen food locker plant. Due to the possibility of spoilage, it is not advisable to move frozen foods on the van unless all of the following conditions are met…


  • They are in a freezer operating at a normal deep-freeze temperature at the time of loading. (Check you freezer operating manual for suggested normal freezing temperatures.)

  • The distance to be moved is not over 150 miles and/or delivery will be made within 24 hours.

  • No storage of the shipment is necessary.

  • No preliminary or en route servicing of any kind is required.

  • Fill out your own "Personal Household Inventory" using the form provided. Completing your own inventory can help you determine the amount of declared valuation for the shipment. List as nearly as possible, the year of the purchase and original cost of each item. Attach any invoices or records of purchase to the completed inventory.

  • If you are being relocated at your company’s request, find out what portion of your moving expenses the company will pay. If your company has a written moving policy, ask for a copy of the document.